The HOUSTON Fire Museum was originally Fire Station No. 7, the first fire station built by the Houston Fire Department after it went fully paid in 1895.
The two-story fire station was built in 1898 at 2403 Milam and McIlhenny and was of Romanesque style. It was opened in 1899 as the first paid fire station for the City of Houston. The station remained active until a new Fire Station No. 7 was built in 1969.
Preservation of old Fire Station No. 7 as a fire museum began in 1980. The station had been proclaimed a fire museum by city council in 1977, but little was done to preserve the building. Fire Chief V. E. Rogers pushed the project off center and assigned Captain Calvin Mendel to oversee the renovation project. Today, the Houston Fire Museum has been completely renovated and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.