Fire Prevention

Home Safety Fire Inspector

Fires are best stopped by home fire safety. If you don’t let a fire begin, there is no fire to fight. Home fire safety prevents fires. You are going to be your home safety fire inspector.

As a home safety fire inspector, you will need to know what causes fires. Some of the common causes of fire are:

  • Nearly half of all living room fires are caused by careless smoking. Matches and lighters can be hazards too – especially when used by children as toys.
  • Discarded cigarettes are a cause of fires. Lit cigarettes are dangerous.
  • Smokers should have safety ashtrays and discard ashes and cigarette butts into a metal, sealed container.
  • If you use a portable heater be careful not to put it where it might get tipped over. Also make sure objects are placed at a safe distance (at least 36 inches) away from the heating unit. Portable heaters can set your clothes on fire if you get too close. Do not wear loose clothes near a heater, Should your clothes catch fire, do not run. Stop , drop and roll.
  • If you have a fireplace, make sure you use a screen to keep sparks from flying into the room. Never leave a fire unattended, and use only firewood to start fires. Chimneys should be cleaned every year to avoid chimney fires,
  • Don’t forget to check for electrical hazards! Examine cords and plugs for cracking or fraying. Extension cords can be damaged if placed where they may be pinched (under a rug) as heat can build up in the cord and start a fire.
  • Don’t overload outlets by using too many extension cords or plugs.
  • TVs, radios, and VCRs need open air space at the top, sides and back as they build up heat. Keep all these appliances away from water and clutter.
  • It’s fun to decorate for parties and holidays – but think safety when placing decorations in your living room. Decorations should not be flammable.
  • Post emergency numbers by the telephone – most areas in the United States use 9-1-1 for the emergency telephone number. Have the number posted to be sure.
  • Electric and gas ranges cause fires frequently. Do not put a pot on the stove and leave it unattended. Grease can catch on fire. Keep curtains secured against the window. The curtains may blow inward over a stove.
  • If grease catches on fire, DO NOT pour water on it! The grease will splash and spread the fire onto other surfaces. Instead quickly throw a towel over the pan, making sure you smother the flame. The lack of oxygen will put out the fire.

This is some of the fire hazards that have caused a lot of fires. There are probably more. Can you think of another fire hazard? If so, add it to the list of fire hazards.

Point out the fire hazards you see to your parents anytime, not just during your inspection of you home. Fire inspection should be done around the clock.