top of page

Bridging the Past & the Future


The Houston Fire Museum’s home is the historic Fire Station No. 7 in the Midtown neighborhood of Houston. This was the city’s first station built specifically for Houston’s newly implemented, paid fire department. Prominent local architect Olle J. Lohren designed the Victorian Romanesque building. When it opened in 1899, it was called the finest equipped station south of St. Louis. October 29, 1899 The Houston Post. 


Of the ten Victorian firehouses built in Houston before 1900, it is the only one to survive. The station operated until 1969 when a new Fire Station No. 7 opened on neighboring Elgin Street. Today, the building is fondly called “Old 7’s,” and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and recorded as a Texas landmark. It became the home of the Houston Fire Museum in 1982. 


The building is the Museum’s greatest asset. The Board of Trustees realized that “Old 7’s” needed preservation to sustain another 100 years. Partnering with Tellepsen Builders, REPRACTICE architecture, and project manager Bob Brooks, a preservation plan was developed and implemented, resulting in impressive results.



The cost for the preservation and restoration work is $5,700,000.  Old 7’s – Bridging the Past & the Future Capital Campaign was established to raise these funds from our generous members, donors, and community. The Museum is grateful and honored to have Camden Property Trust as our lead donor, generously donating $1,000,000 towards the campaign.

We still need to raise $1,000,000 to reach this goal and additional funds to support new exhibits and strengthen lifesaving fire safety programs geared toward children.  


Please consider supporting our efforts by donating or leaving a legacy by purchasing a brick paver.  This support will ensure that the Houston Fire Museum will continue to serve as a tribute to the history of the Houston Fire Department, as it celebrates Houston’s firefighters and first responders’ past, present, and future. 


Sign up here to stay up to date on our Grand Reopening in 2024

All gifts are tax-deductible and greatly appreciated.


Please contact Kate Ryther Executive Director at for additional information.

bottom of page